Family planning in the 3rd Obstetric and Gynecologic Clinic of Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki

Hippokratia 2005, 9(2):92-94

M Karagiannis, D Rousso, A Mamopoulos, J Tsimbanakos, Th Karagiannis
3rd Dpt Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Hippokratio General Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece


Family planning is defined as the right of the parents to decide, with their willingness, about the number of children they wish to have; this should always be in accordance to the rules of health that guarantee the safe process of pregnancy and the health of mother and child. The aim of family planning is the prevention of undesired pregnancies using several methods of contraception, the preclusion of illnesses that obstract the reproductive ability and the prenatal control that leads to a healthy newborn. The Family Planning Outpatient Department of the 3rd Dept of Obstetrics & Gynecology accepts people that proceed for contraception councelling. It also accepts pregnant women who ask for prenatal control or for artificial abortion. In this clinic, about 200 artificial abortions are conducted every year. Only 10% of these abortions are done for medical reasons, with the rest 90% for several social- economic reasons.